Thursday, 6 April 2017

Sandhya-Describing Myself

I am writing a description of where I come from. I will be describing my ethnicity, why my family came to NZ and the special traditions that are important to me.

 The background of my family is Indian. We speak the language Tamil. My family immigrated to NZ because we wanted to explore and live in a new environment. We came to NZ when I was 6. We have lots of traditions and beliefs. One of our traditions is that we put a patterned or round sticker (Bindi) on our forehead in between our eyebrows. We put a sticker on our forehead because we believe that it protects us. Another tradition we have is that married women wear a gold necklace. Married women also wear a ring on their toe. During our prayers, we light lamps to give our homes light and bring a good signal. We celebrate a festival called Diwali. For Diwali we light fireworks and make sweets to give to each other. We celebrate Diwali as remembrance of how a god killed a bad person who killed other people.

 Every 2 years, in November or December, we go to India to visit our cousins and grandparents. We stay there for at least 1 month. In India, we own 3 huge houses in different cities. I really like visiting my family in India because we go to special places like huge temples together. Another reason I like going to India is because I get to see a lot of my friends. I hear traditional Indian stories when I go to temples, which is an important part of my culture.

 When I grow up, I’m going to share my family traditions with my children so that they can learn more about traditional Indian culture. I hope that they will share it with their children so that our family story continues for a long time.

Reflection:I think I'm Extended Abstract because I explained and predicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment